Different types of Server Hosting (Server Rental)

MaxCloudON, Tutorials | 17 December 2021

In this article we will teach you:

What is server hosting

Server hosting (server rental) is a service offered by a cloud provider. It gives you access to Virtual or Physical servers via remote connection. The server is located off-premises in the provider`s data center or some other location specified by you. This is typically done for a monthly fee or for usage-based price. This way the company saves money for up-front cost for the servers, IT expenses for setting up, managing and maintaining the servers.

Ever wonder what hosting plan is ?

Why use server hosting

Today companies and individuals use server hosting for a lot of reasons. Some use it for developing and testing, some use it to have more secure backup and disaster recovery options and others use it for application delivery and CDN (Content delivery network). But most use it, because compared to buying and maintaining the servers themselves server rental offers this advantages:

Types of server hosting

Most of the server hosting options can be split in 3 categories:

Shared server hosting

The most basic and budget friendly option is shared server hosting. In this type of hosting one physical server is split (rented) to multiple customers (users, company accounts). This is done with a process called virtualization. This is perfect for personal websites, web apps with little traffic and not much security requirements . The biggest problem of this type of hosting is the limited resources, which need to be split between many users(tenants). Now let’s imagine this scenario: Client A and Client B rent the same server. For most of the time they each use 30 to 40% of the server capacity so they don’t have problem, but client A start advertisement campaign, which brings a lot of new users to his site, now he uses 70-80% of the resources of the server, so now 10 – 20% of Clients A and B customers can`t see the sites, because the server is not responding or is responding slow.

VPS hosting

VPS(virtual private server) hosting is the next step in the hosting ladder. This is almost the same as the shared server hosting, but in this one every user has a minimum allocated resources. What does this mean? Let’s return to the example from above. Let’s say Client A and Client B each have a VPS plan with 40% allocated to them. This is 80% of the server already used , so now if either client has a spike in users they can scale to the other 20 % left. So in the example above all 10 -20% of the dropped customers will be from Client A , and all of Client B customers will have no problems at all.

In addition to the allocated resources VPS gives you more control over the software installed on the machine. This is perfect for small businesses, eCommerce sites, CRM. This is also easy and cheap to scale up, you just pick a plan with more allocated resources.

Dedicated server hosting

In Dedicated server hosting you only have one client on the server, he has exclusive access to ALL of the resources of one server. This is the model that provides the most security, from other clients hosted by the same Cloud provider. You have a choice of three different hosting models.

How to choose the right hosting plan for you

Choosing a plan for you or your company should be based on the following factors:

Why MaxCloudON hosting

MaxCloudON is specialized in dedicated servers with lots of different options to choose from. With more than 20 years in IT we have a lot of experience dealing with all of our client needs and we have seen and accounted for most of the problems you may face. For more information, about how can your company benefits by using MaxCloudON check our AMD and Intel Prices or Contact us.

Recent Posts

  • Flow chart showing machine learning path algorithms follow.
  • What server do I need for machine learning?
  • If you are new to machine learning you probably are wondering “What hardware specifications does my computer or server need to run machine learning?”. We have combined the results of the tests run by pugetsystems and came with the short answer short answer “With a lot of GPUs and VRam”, the longer and more detailed answer can be read a bit late in that article (link to chapter), but to be useful to as many people as possible we will start with some basic information about machine learning.

  • Read More . . .
  • 11 November 2022
  • Picture showing what will happen if sampling is set to low
  • How to render faster
  • Most of the people who work with 3D have asked themselves how can I speed the rendering process. And all of them have some advice to give. But it is mostly set this setting to 3 instead of 4, and this one to 13 instead of 25.

  • Read More . . .
  • 20 May 2022